Tuesday 24 March 2015

Week 11 supervisor meeting with Simone and draft of survey questions

Again, this week's supervisor meeting was relatively short, but was nonetheless really useful feedback-wise.  First off, I have finally worked out a bunch of questions to ask in my survey, and with practical development coming along it looks like I could have it ready by Friday - yay! 

Here are my proposed questions below, which will make up the main body of the survey:

1.  Do the illustrations help you to understand the processes of mindfulness and it's practice?
  • How so? (explain in text box)
This question would be open ended, allowing participants to write about helpful elements of the illustration.  

2.  The images helped me to understand the processes because they showed…
  • A literal process (e.g the brain diagrams)
  • A depicted process (e.g the meditation illustrations)
  • A depicted idea (e.g…?)
This question refers to the semiotics theory I am using to underpin part of my research.  By getting feedback on whether an icon, index, or symbol is more effective I can hopefully link my survey findings to literary research.

3.  Can you suggest any ways the illustrations could be enhanced to further help your understanding of the processes of mindfulness?
  • Open-ended question
Originally I had wanted to put suggestions here, but Simone advised avoiding pre-emptive options for answers as much as possible.

4.  How did you feel about the amount of illustration on each page shown here? 
  • Too much
  • Enough to help give me a good idea if the subject matter
  • Not enough to give me a good idea of the subject matter
At the moment I only have one illustration per page - is this enough or too little?

5.  How easy was it to read the text on the screen?
  • The words in the text are legible
  • The words in the text are difficult to read
6.  If you answered difficult to read, why?
  • The text is too small
  • The text is too cramped (letters too close together)
This one has just been added just now as I was re-wording things, so may or may not be kept in.  It is important to get feedback on how effective or ineffective the kerning is.

7.  What kind of tone of voice did you get from the choice of typefaces used?
  • Friendly
  • Authoritative
  • Informal
  • Informative
I want the feel to be friendly and informative so it is important to find out whether that comes across to participants.

8.  How do you feel about the amount of text information on the page?
  • Too much
  • Enough to help give me a good idea if the subject matter
  • Not enough to give me a good idea of the subject matter
Too much text would result in cognitive load - not good!  Getting the right amount is vital to effective information design in the app. 

9.  After viewing the pages for the application, how likely is it that you might try mindfulness (either exercises or as a practice)?
  • Very
  • Quite
  • Maybe
  • Not at all
10.  Why did you choose the above answer?
  • The information provided to me by the app
  • The presentation of the information and the visuals
  • The visual style and branding made it seem accessible
It's important to know if the way the information was presented was informative and persuasive.


I am going to run these questions by Simone again on Thursday and double check that I have the go -ahead. 

I also showed her a few pieces of my work from the last week and she gave me feedback.  In particular,  she said that there were too many dotted lines in some images, so I will need to go back and look at what they are best suited to.  She also noted that for some step-by-step processes I had, it would be better to have page numbers in the top corner than a label indicating the next step, as it gives the user a clear indication of how many steps are involved in each process and how much time it would take. (see image below) There are going to be a lot of iterations over the next few weeks I think - more to write about in my dissertation I suppose. 



As I mentioned, my next meeting with Simone is this Thursday, so I am aiming to have the breadcrumbs and accordion menu done for then, so that she can look over it and have a final say on pages before I put the survey together and send it out to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment