Thursday 26 March 2015

Bringing in some breadcrumbs

In tandem with designing the accordion menu, I created the breadcrumbs I had been meaning to do for so long.  It was important to look at other examples first, as I have a large number of pages to reference.




Using the greater than sign was a no-brainer, as the sign itself denotes "leading to" if you remove it from it's mathematic context.  I liked the banner look and was considering it, but after looking at all the content already in place I decided a text-only breadcrumb style was best, to keep negative space.



I knew when I started applying the breadcrumbs that I wanted the "current page" to be in bold, as I had done with the numbers in the top right hand corner.  I felt that the bold on it's own did work, but after trying out a little box with a drop shadow around it, I decided that this gave just enough of a "pop" to the text.  While the breadcrumbs should be low down on the hierarchy list, I felt that highlighting the page was validated as it might help the user to orientate themselves that little bit more.


Example of breadcrumb design as is on the "Body Scan" page.



No comments:

Post a Comment