Tuesday 24 February 2015

Week 7 supervisor meeting with Simone

I explained that the working title I am going with is "Relationships Between Illustration and Typography in Information Design".  Simone suggested refining that question even more to be specific to apps and the relationships between screen and print design.  Based on this I have expanded that a little so that the working title/question is now; "Relationships Between Illustration & Typography in Information Design for Educational Apps." Wordy!

I also spoke about how I have chosen two theories to underpin my dissertation research (*finally*).  As I will speak about in upcoming posts (note making is in progress at the moment), I have chosen semiotic theory and Gestalt theory as my academic frameworks, as both can be directly applied to my practical work and information design.  So far I have found both theories to be insightful on the topic of designing for information; particularly Gestalt theory as I have found academic papers where it is directly applied to an educational app to improve its function.   Simone also said I can briefly look at any other theories which could relate, but if they didn't serve the purpose I could write about why that was so (this is more a note to self than anything).   I feel so much better about having a plan for my academic theories now, and it means I can speak about it in Friday's presentation.

When showing my practical work from this week (also on it's way, being linked in to research posts now), Simone talked about creating a style guide for myself as we were discussing the possibilities of mixing a title font with a body font.  I found out that this could be put into the dissertation as a relevant section which could bridge the theory and practical sides of the project.  She very helpfully sent me a Powerpoint created for her second year students on Information Design, which details examples from a style guide put together for the Australia.au website.    The guide included things I hadn't thought of before such as where the logo will be placed if the screen is rotated and logo misuse.  I don't expect I will have time to create one for this Friday as I am still wanting to experiment, but I hope I will have one down in the next week or so so that I can have it ready for a week today (and have actually started a bit of my dissertation…).



No comments:

Post a Comment