Thursday 6 November 2014

Visit to DCA

Thanks to Dave, this afternoon myself and a few classmates visited the Visual Arts Research studio at Dundee Contemporary Art, where we got a tour of the studio and watched various techniques being done by people who work there.  It got me thinking a lot about the physical techniques I could use to create work, in particular screen printing which is often used in propagandic work.  I knew I really wanted to create something physical as well as digital, but I hadn't considered prints or posters (which is strange seeing as all the work I have been looking that is printed).   My plan for the next month is to create a brand identity and advertisements with elements of styles which are associated with either overt propaganda (think Obey by Shepard Fairey) or more contemporary styles.  There is a screen printing workshop running next weekend, which I plan on going along to to make some stuff which should hopefully contribute to pre-production.  

As well as screen printing, I was especially interested in the work created by lenticular (holographic printer).  A little while ago I looked briefly into afterimageing and optical art, which I sort of abandoned as other ideas took precedence.  I still really love the idea of creating works that subvert images in quite a literal way, and since the DCA offer workshops I hope to get the chance to make some either in time for hand in on the 8th of December or after.  Holographs could be used to create "animated" posters, with an approach of "this is not what it first seems" as the message.   We were also shown how the laser cutter works, which I am keeping in mind for future practise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment