Sunday 23 November 2014

Upcoming stuff - Blended teas

This is a short blog post to talk about some work that is in the pipeline, so that when I post developments it hasn't just come out of nowhere.  In addition to the 'anti-fruit' media tests I have in the works, I am also continuing with a project I made tentative first steps in a few weeks ago.  At the time I was doing it for the sake of re-branding a poorly designed existing logo, but after researching familiarisation and nostalgic art styles used in persuasive visuals (see previous blog posts) I have realised I could apply the same approach here.  It's a little bit of a stretch to bridge the two, but I am confident there will be some kind of development in ideas and art style from it.  

The original logo was found on one of those logo-generator sites; it was a logotype saying "Blended" and was a classic bit of WordArt.  After putting a little bit of thought into what kind of company would have a name like "Blended", I settled on a tea company, aimed at women, which made tea blends that were novel in flavouring and also had vitamins infused into the blend.  As I was doing the mind map an idea started forming, so I did something a little different and cut and paste images into my sketchbook (Figure 2).  







All of the images were taken from my copies of Glamour magazine.  I chose images of women which evoked a nostalgic, fun vintage vibe like the ones seen in brand identity visuals by Benefit and Soap and Glory, and created the fruit and flowers by cutting out blocks of colour into shapes.    This ended up being quite fitting with subsequent research on familiarisation techniques - even though screen printing or some other traditional technique has not been used yet, the images have connotations of a carefree and healthy woman.  These could be developed further into a style that pushed the familiarised angle, and potentially the same brand idea could be contrasted to this with a second identity which takes an entirely different approach. 

The next stage of this particular project is in progress, with the aim being to have a collection of visuals ready for submission in 2 weeks time along with other pre-production work.  I hope to get going with it once I have wrapped up my current mini-project.

No comments:

Post a Comment