Sunday 21 September 2014

The start of honours year

Where I’m at just now 
During my third year I got quite into motion graphics, using After Effects and more recently Cinema 4D to create work.  At this point I would like to continue learning about and creating both 2D and 3D graphics, as well as perhaps finding a style that combines the two.  The reason I like motion graphics is that it incorporates graphic design, which I enjoy doing, but the animation side of things means there is arguably more potential for me to learn and experiment.  At this point in time one of the things I hope to do is work for a graphic or digital design firm after I graduate, so I do want to improve and hone my skills in this area as much as I can.  However I am aware that this is the last year where I can dedicate most of my time to working on what I want.
I started out by playing around and following tutorials, without having much of a direction to go in.  Getting stuck in and playing around in C4D was a way to get the ball rolling.  Here are some experiments and results of tutorials below:

Water simulation, created by accident following a Greyscale Gorilla tutorial.  The aim was to hide the water and only have the light caustics showing so that it would look like the reflections seen on the bottom of a pool.   This ended up not working out as there was probably a little step somewhere I missed, but the end result above was this fluid water-like thing.

Another tutorial gone not-quite right, this effect was made by using defectors and changing the levels of the sub polygons throughout the animation.

Apologies for the horrendous quality of this video!  This was made following a tutorial where the aim was to learn about attractors and collision tags, which are effects that are applied in C4D to emulate physical effects.

Following on from this at the moment I plan to keep doing tutorials in the hope that learning more skills will give me a bit of direction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment