Monday 15 December 2014

Vintage collages as mood boards

I was feeling a bit stuck at one point as to what kind of visuals could feasibly work in an attempt at "familiarisation", so decided to do what I always do when stuck which is…create some mood boards!  The first one shown below is one I created back in third year which could end up being useful here, and the one below in Figure 2 is made up of images from packaging and advertisements of brands which use older -looking visuals to their advantage in branding - mainly Benefit and Soap & Glory as they fit a similar market to what my current project is aimed at.  I notice that the women all look happy, glossy and good looking, and as you can see from previous posts I have borrowed that idea some in the facial expressions I have drawn and the way I have positioned the faces.  


Fig 1

Fig 2

After this research I decided to have a better look at some proper vintage/antique images, which I could mash up with food images in the hope of creating some mood boards.  After finding a collection of vintage images on the Public Domain Archive, I cut the women out and combined them with some old packaging illustrations to make several collages in Photoshop (below).  I did not create the original images, however they were available in the public domain and I used them here to create these.





Making these did not lead to any breakthrough that I can see as the process was a bit back-to-front, but it is very possible that these will feed into some later work where I take a similar approach.  

(Note:  I do not own any of the images in Figure 1 and 2, nor did I create them.  These images were collected for research purposes.)



No comments:

Post a Comment